1. If you go into the office everyday and thinking you’re the smartest person in the room, you’re probably in the wrong room.
2. When you’re doing BD at a startup, you’re doing the deals that propel the business to its next milestone, not the flashy deals you want.
3. Unlike code, you can’t push commit on a relationship and then reverse it the minute it stops working.
4. Sales is a full-contact sport. You know how in post-game football interviews when the quarterback of the winning team says only complimentary things of the losing team, adopt that tone and grace when speaking about your competitors.
5. If you’re on the losing team, pick a fight. But make sure you position yourself as the scrappy underdog or the new kid on the block.
6. Entertainment is an easy way to get a deal done.
7. It’s not about “Getting to Yes”, it’s about getting to no as soon as possible so you can move on.
8. Treat clubs as spades and spades as clubs. (Ask me about this one)
9. No one ever really reads your sales collateral. Notice: Shiny objects are not as real as they appear.
10. Honest actions speak louder than a lifetime of honest words.